Monday, January 24, 2011

A Mother's Reflection...

After seeing my cousin begin a blog as part of her 2011 resolution, and a Facebook friend's amazing daily blog for her son, I have been inspired to start a blog to cherish these precious moments of Addison's first year. This is an effort to create some type of "scrapbook" while acknowledging that true paper, pen, and photo "scrapbooking" is not a strength of mine.
As I think back on the last six weeks of our daughter's life, I fight back tears of joy as my heart flows over with love and blessing. 

Memories of the past 6 weeks:
1. Catching up on 6 1/2 seasons of The Office with Eric and joining the ranks of Office lovers everywhere, as well as adding a plethora of new quotes to our repertoire.
2. Our last breakfast as a two-some at IHOP Asheboro...I had been craving those Pumpkin Pancakes.
3. Driving to the hospital in labor, thinking I'm going to have to end up getting an epidural, and my loving husband saying to me, "I will support whatever you think you need, but I know you can do this without the epidural if that's what you want."
4. Eric exclaiming, "She's got hair!" and then, "You're almost there," but then not hearing the doctor confirm the latter statement...
 5. Seeing Addison MacPhail Gee for the first time as she was placed on top of my stomach at 10:53pm on Friday, December 10, 2010.
6. Driving away from the hospital, now sitting in the backseat with the baby, crying silently with happiness all the way home.
7. Stealing a glimpse of the first practice SMILE!
8. The grunting noises that Addison makes when she's trying to wake up from a deep sleep.
9. Realizing after a week at home with the baby that we still had Christmas to celebrate! I had felt like it had already come!

I have loved being surrounded by family and friends, but my very favorite thing has been the days when it's just the three of us, Addison and her Mom and Dad, at home, sitting by the gas logs in the glow of the Christmas tree. The day the Christmas decorations came down was a huge wake-up call that this fairytale of being at home would soon end. 


Eric went back to school full force, with evening rehearsals 4 nights a week. My wonderful family has helped take care of Addison and me, taking us out to dinner, coming over for visits, and helping around the house as much as they could. 
Addison and 'Unk'
Addison and Granddad
Addison and Grandmother
Her Godmother, Karolanne Trogdon, pitched in too! 
Addison and her Godmother
The weather gave us one more week with Daddy at home. We plunged back into the comfy fairytale once again!


This week, I am soaking up every minute with The Precious, knowing that one week from today I must rejoin the ranks of working mothers and go back to school. 

The only thing easing the anxiety is knowing that Ms. Addison will be in good hands with her care-taker, and staying at our colleague's house very close to the school. I know I'm going to be a wreck on the first day back...
So from here out this blog will most likely take that of a collection of photo memories and captions, with narrative posts appearing only every once in a while. So enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey hey hey!!! Love it!!! :-D Kathy's "sister in law" (basically) blogged as her kids were growing up and just had them printed as "books". Pretty nifty!!! It is definitely an alternative to scrap-booking; hopefully not near as time consuming! :) You should keep this up, so exciting... not to mention the fact that it helps me keep up with ya'll and her from far away! Miss you! Love you! See you soon-ish?!?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear from you!